I have been creating healthy recipes for this blog for a while now, so I thought I would have a bit of fun and enter a recipe competition. Kohana sent me a bottle of their cold brew coffee concentrate with one instruction – create something delicious. Because I already have my morning coffee routine perfected (and I am a serious creature of habit), I had to think of some other time of day when coffee would appeal. That’s when it struck me. The witching hour. That hour in the afternoon when exhaustion strikes. When all you want to do is lie in a hammock and snooze. I avoid drinking coffee that late in the day for fear of it messing with my precious sleep. And so I came up with the perfect alternative… these Kohana coffee energy bites.
These coffee energy bites have a little hit of caffeine to help you get through the afternoon. But unlike a regular cup of coffee, they also contain 6 grams of fiber (1/4 of a woman’s daily needs), 7 grams of protein, and 10% of your daily iron requirement per ball. You can get yourself out of your afternoon slump, reach your daily fiber quota, and enjoy a sweet treat all in one delicious 200-calorie bite that only takes 15 minutes to prepare. So what are you waiting for? I suggest you go make some immediately. And if you have a minute to vote for my coffee energy bites you can click here and know that I will be eternally grateful.
- 1½ cup oats
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus 2 tbsp for rolling
- 1 ripe banana
- 5 tbsp cold brew coffee concentrate
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 4 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Put the oats and coconut in a blender and blend until fine.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana.
- Add the oats and coconut, coffee, almond butter, cocoa powder, chia seeds, and maple syrup.
- Stir until well combined.
- Roll into golf ball sized balls.
- Roll each ball in the additional coconut.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one week.