We are developing a wonderful Saturday morning routine in our house. The children are allowed to watch cartoons for an hour while we grown ups enjoy a glorious cup of coffee and some early morning quiet time. It is a most delicious hour during which we can do anything we like. Which usually means I scurry to the kitchen and try to create yet another tasty, healthy pancake recipe for our breakfast.
This past weekend was no exception. I decided to try making coconut pancakes to satisfy my family’s coconut-loving tendencies.
I toasted the coconut to add some depth to the flavor, and used whole wheat flour for added fiber and nutritious goodness. I also cheated the buttermilk by curdling milk with a little apple cider vinegar. The result was these satisfyingly wholesome pancakes.
Toasted Coconut Pancakes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Pour the coconut on a parchment lined baking tray and place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes*.
2. Remove coconut from oven and leave to cool.
3. Pour the milk and vinegar into a small bowl and set aside.
4. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
5. Add the egg and coconut oil to the milk and mix well.
6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
7. Add ½ cup of the toasted coconut to the batter and gently mix.
8. Heat a small amount of coconut oil or butter in a skillet over a medium heat.
9. Pour ¼ cup batter into the skillet per pancake. As soon as you have poured it in, sprinkle some of the remaining toasted coconut on each pancake.
10. When bubbles start to rise through the pancake, flip it and cook for about 1 minute on the other side, or until it is lightly golden brown.
11. Remove from the pan, pour some maple syrup and/or berries on the pancake, and enjoy.
*I realize that sometimes you just need a quick pancake recipe with little fuss. In that case, you can skip the coconut toasting step entirely.