Despite my best efforts to meal plan and only buy necessary items from the grocery store, I found three large tubs of strawberries in our fridge this morning. The first two must have lurking at the back when I made my shopping list yesterday. So I googled ‘strawberry recipes’ and came across this one for Quick Strawberry Jam from Martha Stewart.
It is a slight departure from my usual attempts to make healthy foods with not too much added sugar. But everything in moderation, right?
I altered the recipe slightly to include a little corn starch and lengthen the cooking time. Nevertheless, this was still a ridiculously easy and very fast way to make delicious strawberry jam without preservatives or high fructose corn syrup. Plus, there is far less sugar than in many jam recipes, but the result is still very sweet and tasty.
Easy Homemade Strawberry Jam
- 1.5 lbs strawberries, hulled (green bits removed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1. Put the strawberries in a food processor and pulse until coarse.
2. Mix the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a large skillet and place over a medium-high heat.
3. Cook the mixture stirring regularly for around 25 minutes, until it has thickened slightly. It should be bubbling the whole time.
4. Pour into jars and let it cool.