The night cough. Most of us have experienced it. Your cold is starting to get better. You are beginning to feel a little more energetic. And then, you climb into bed ready for a good night’s sleep, and BOOM, the coughing starts. You know, that coughing that hasn’t happened all day. The coughing that saved itself for nighttime when it could wreak havoc with your ability to get some much needed rest. But never fear, I have a simple homemade natural cough remedy that will save you from sleepless nights.
This natural cough remedy is an absolute staple in our house during the winter. So what makes it so amazing, I hear you ask. Turmeric. For those of you who don’t know what that is, turmeric is a medicinal plant used in Ayurvedic medicine. It has been used as a home remedy for many ailments for thousands of years. It is becoming increasingly popular in the Western world thanks to its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-carcinogenic properties. It is also said to have anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties, which are extremely useful for combatting a cough or cold. So next time you feel that nighttime cough coming on, make yourself a mug of this golden milk, and prepare yourself for a good night’s sleep.
- 1 cup milk (coconut, almond, dairy, or any other kind)
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp honey (or maple syrup for vegan) Add more or less to taste
- Pinch of black pepper
- Put all the ingredients in a small pan.*
- Heat over a medium heat for about 3 minutes stirring occasionally (don't let it boil).
- Pour into a mug, stir well, and enjoy (just make sure you swirl it around as you get near the end of your mug as the spices tend to settle at the bottom.)
- *Alternatively, you can put all the ingredients in a mug, stir them well, and heat in the microwave for 50-70 seconds.